top of page

Behavior Management FAQs

Every client’s hours are assigned monthly to be scheduled between them and their consultant. Hours received are based on the allotted funds for Behavior Management services given by their Individual Support plan or Treatment Plan. However, our Behavior Consultants are available 24/7 for crisis intervention. 

Who qualifies for Behavior Management?

Those who are eligible for the Medicaid Waiver or who are currently enrolled in the Medicaid Waiver can receive Behavior Management services as an aspect of their person-centered care plan. For more information about the Medicaid Waiver, click here. Sky Point Social Services also provides Behavior Management services to youth involved with the Department of Child Services (DCS), Juvenile Probation, and Choices Coordinated Care Solutions.

What are typical target behaviors?

Typical target behaviors that our Behavior Consultants work with are inappropriate language, physical aggression, non-compliance, elopement, and social isolation.

Who provides Behavior Management Services?

Our Behavior Consultants are required by Indiana state law to hold a Master’s Degree and at least five years experience working directly with individuals with disabilities. All of our consultants must also attend a monthly supervision session with an HSPP. 

How is a Behavioral Consultant assigned?

Upon receiving a referral for services, Sky Point works together with our clients to find the perfect consultant. Clients and their guardians have the opportunity to interview our consultants and choose who they would like to begin services with. At any time, our clients may feel free to request a different consultant.

What does "Behavior Modification" mean?
What are "Replacement Behaviors"?

Behavior modification refers to the process our Behavior Consultants use to work together with clients and their support team to address target behaviors, identify replacement strategies, and implement positive reinforcements. Our consultants use behavior plans specifically created for each client to help apply the most successful approaches possible.

Replacement behaviors refer to more appropriate actions or interactions that the client and team of caregivers deem appropriate. These may include proper hygiene, school attendance, use of appropriate language, and positive interactions with others.  

How often can I meet with my Behavioral Consultant?

Employment Services FAQs

What is Employment Services?

Employment Services is a program we offer through Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VR). VR is a federal-state program that helps people who have physical or mental disabilities get or keep a job. We are committed to helping people with disabilities find meaningful careers.

Who qualifies for Employment Services?

You may be eligible for Employment Services through VR if your goal is to become employed and:

  • Your physical or mental disability interferes with your ability to become employed, and

  • You need help to find or keep a job

If you receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for your disability, you are presumed eligible for Employment Services if you plan to become employed.

What does an Employment Specialist do?
What if I need transportation to work?

Our Employment Specialists work together with their clients to identify career interest, skills, and passions. They work together with clients to build a resume, review interviewing skills, provide volunteer opportunities, and find job placements within a client’s community. 

Our Employment Specialists will work together with their clients to identify reliable means to ensure the individual can get to work for every scheduled shift.  This can include training to ride public transportation, studying for the drivers written test, and help with obtaining bus passes and gas cards.

Can an Employment Specialist help me talk to my boss?

Absolutely. Our specialists are available to assist their clients in addressing any need they may have with their employer. Part of our Employment Specialist duties is to advocate as needed for their clients within the workplace. 

What qualifications do Employment Specialist have?

Our Employment Specialists meet State and company standards, receive ongoing training, and work towards becoming a Certified Employment Specialist through Indiana University. Our Employment Specialist also become trained in completing Benefit Information Network (BIN) assessments to help clients determine how much they can work while still receiving Medicaid, SSDI, and SSI assistance.

Supported Living FAQs

What is Supported Living?

Supported Living is a service offered to individuals on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver to support them inn completing daily living skills in order to live as independently and healthy possible in their home and community.

What services are offered in Supported Living?

There are many great services that Sky Point offers within the Supported Living Department. Services include:

  • Residential (RHS)

  • Participant Assistance and Care (PAC)

  • Respite

  • Day Habilitation- Individual (DHI, formerly known as CHIO)

  • Family and Caregiver Training

  • Extended Services

  • Transportation

What qualifications do the staff have?

Our Direct Support Professionals, or DSPs, meet State and company standards and requirements. Each DSP completes training on how to support individuals with disabilities and also undergoes quarterly and annual trainings to ensure they are constantly learning how to support those they work with. DSPs are also trained in First Aid, CPR, and AED and pass thorough background checks.

What skills can the DSP help me with?

DSPs are a vital part in helping the client reach their goals are outlined on their Person-Centered Individual Support Plan (PCISP). DSPs can help with many different areas and daily living skills. Some skills DSPs can assist with are:

  • Personal Care: Such as bathing, tolieting, dressing, assistance with incontinence briefs, etc.

  • Health Assistance: Such as medication administration, G-Tube feedings, transfers, physical assistance, assistance with appointments, dental hygiene, etc.

  • Daily Living Skills: Such as transportation, shopping, budgeting, laundry, housekeeping and cleaning skills, meal preperation, assisting with obtaining medications, dining, etc.

  • Community Safety: Such as how to interact safely with the community, keeping information safe and secure, avoiding explotation.

  • Communication: Such as emotional recongintion adn regulation, practicing reading skills, practicing verbal communication, practicing non-verbal communication (such as sign language, communication devices, communication cards, etc.)

  • And much more! Anything the client states as a desired skill to work on, we can help them.

What is a Preferred Caregiver?

A Preferred Caregiver is a staff the client chooses to be their primary caregiver. Preferred Caregivers can be family, friends, former staff, and more! Not only do Preferred Caregivers benefit the client, empowering the individual to choose who cares for them; but it benefits the caregiver to allow them to ensure their loved one is receiving quality care without sacrificing the opportunity to receive an income.

Counseling Services FAQs

What is Counseling?

The American Counseling Association, counseling is defined as, "a professional relationship that empowers diverse individuals, families, and groups to accomplish mental health, wellness, education, and career goals." Counseling involves helping people make needed personal, social, or psychological changes in ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, and is a goal-based collaborative process, involving a non-judgmental, supportive counselor who works with a client in telling his or her story, setting viable goals, and developing strategies and plans necessary to accomplish these goals. 

An extremely important part of counseling is confidentiality, which means that the information discussed in session will be accessible only by you and your counselor, with a few exceptions.

Who qualifies for Counseling Services?

Individuals and families referred from the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) and Juvenile Probation.

What can a Therapist address?

Our Therapists can address a wide variety of topics and issues using various therapy techniques. Some areas addressed include:

  • Anxiety

  • Depression

  • Anger

  • Behavioral

  • Grief/Trauma

  • Emotional

  • Criminal Thinking

  • Relationships

  • Family

  • and much more!

What qualifications do Therapist have?

Each therapist at Sky Point Social Services holds a Master’s Degree or higher, and comes with years directly correlated experience in the field. Our therapists are regularly supervised by a Doctorate level clinician who is a licensed Psychologist and Health Service Provider in Psychology (HSPP) in Indiana.

Medicaid Waiver FAQs

What does the Indiana Medicaid Waiver cover?

The Medicaid Waiver covers services for individuals who wish to remain within their homes in leu of receiving services within an institution. These are called home and community-based services, or HCBS. 

What services are offered through the Medicaid Waiver?

The Medicaid Waiver offers services for the physically disabled and elderly adults through the Aged and Disabled Waiver program and the Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver program. 


It also offers two programs for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. These include the Community Integration and Habilitation Waiver program and the Family Supports Waiver program. 


The Division of Mental Health and Addiction also offers three different programs for the mental health needs of adults and children. These include the Child Mental Health Wraparound Program, Behavioral and Primary Healthcare Coordination Program, and Adult Mental Health Habilitation Program. 

What qualifies a person for Waiver services?

The Indiana Medicaid Waiver has a fixed number of people who can be served within a Waiver year. To meet the eligibility standards, an individual must match the following criteria:

  • Income eligibility requirements

  • Must meet the criteria required for admission into a long-term care facility 

  • The total cost of Medicaid home-based services cannot exceed the cost of serving and individual in a long-term care facility. 


The Family Supports Medicaid Waiver (FSW) is the entry level waiver services someone can receive. To be qualified, an individual must have a developmental disability. This includes an autism spectrum disorder or Asperger Syndrome and PDD/NOS. To apply, click here .


For an individual to be eligible for the Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services (BDDS), they must be found to have significant functional limitation sin three or more of six major life activities and meet ALL of the following basic conditions:

  • Physical or intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, or condition similar to an intellectual disability

  • The condition had an age of onset prior to age 22

  • The condition is expected to continue indefinitely

  • The individual needs a combination of services


Six major life activity categories include:

  • Self-care

  • Learning

  • Self-discretion

  • Capacity for independent living

  • Receptive and expressive language

  • Mobility

How do I apply for services?

To apply for Medicaid Waiver services, contact your local Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services Office (BDDS) and request an application packet. You can also contact 1-800-545-7763 or apply online.


Once a family member is placed on the wait list through the BDDS office, you can check their status using this portal: You will need to provide the last four digits of social security number or Dart-ID, first and last name, date of birth, and requestor’s name if not the consumer or guardian. 


The Community Integration and Habilitation Medicaid Waiver is a “needs based” waiver for those who ONLY meet specific criteria. These criteria include:


  • Death of primary caregiver and no other caregiver available

  • Caregiver over 80 years of age and no other caregiver available

  • Evidence of abuse or neglect in current placement

  • Extraordinary health and safety risk

  • Eligible individuals transitioning into the community from a nursing facility, extensive support needs homes or state operated facilities

  • Eligible individuals determined to no longer need a group home

  • Eligible individuals transitioning from 100% state funded services

  • Eligible individuals aging out of Department of Education, Department of Child Services, or supported group living

  • Eligible individuals requesting to leave a Large Private Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID). 


If you wish to appeal a decision made regarding a Waiver candidacy, you may contact the BDDS department within 30 calendar days of the notice date. Further instructions can be found here:


If you require further assistance filing for the Medicaid Waiver, feel free to contact the Sky Point Offices or call 800-382-9100 to speak with a family advocate. 

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) FAQs

What does Vocational Rehabilitation cover?

Vocational Rehabilitation covers services for individuals who meet the requirements based on if the individuals has a physical or mental impairment, a barrier to employment, and if services are needed because of a barrier to help the individual obtain and keep a successful and fulfilling career.

What services are offered through Vocational Rehabilitation?

Vocational Rehabilitation allows for individuals to receive Employment Services through an agency such as Sky Point Social Services. The Employment Services program allows individuals to work with a trained Employment Specialist who can help them find a career for them based on their skills and interest, develop a resume, practice interview skills, develop job skills, volunteer,  job shadow, obtain a job, and be supported and advocated for within that new career.

How do I apply for services?

Individuals may be self-referred, or the referral may be made by family members, physicians or medical institutions, educational institutions, or others by calling, writing, or visiting any Vocational Rehabilitation office or facility. To locate the office nearest you, please refer to a map of the VR region and area office locations. The referred individual must submit a written application requesting vocational rehabilitation services.


The VR counselor gathers and evaluates medical, educational, vocational, and other information to determine eligibility. An applicant is eligible if a determination is made that:

  1. he or she has a physical or mental impairment;

  2. the physical or mental impairment constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment; and

  3. the individual requires vocational rehabilitation services to prepare for, enter, engage in, or retain an employment outcome consistent with his or her abilities, capacities, career interests, and informed choice.


The eligibility determination must be made within 60 days of the date on which the individual applies, unless unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of the agency necessitate, and the individual agrees to, an extension of the assessment period for a specified additional period, or an extended evaluation is necessary.

bottom of page