Landing a job in today’s economy can be pretty tricky. One of the most important aspects of obtaining employment is your first impression. This often comes in the form of a resume. But how do you create one that stands out from the crowd? Here are five tricks to keep your resume looking sharp.
1. Looks matter. Just like your physical appearance when interviewing for a job, the look of your resume is important. Keep your font clear, your layout streamlined, and don’t try to squeeze in too much information. Resumes should be easy to skim and appealing to look at.
2. Highlight your experiences. State your jobs and educational experiences that are most relevant to the job at stake and that highlight your achievements. Include important information about each position you’ve held.
3. Include keywords. Take a look at the job description provided and use these industry words to explain your skills and experiences.
4. Watch your grammar. Having spelling or punctuation errors in your resume is a huge no-no. Make sure your looking professional by checking and re-checking your grammar and spelling before submitting your resume.
5. Provide updated contact information. This should be obvious, but it’s often tempting to copy and paste aspects of your resume. Be sure your contact information is accurate and easy to find. You’ll want your employers to know how to get ahold of you for that interview!
These are just a few tricks that we hope will help you on your way to landing the job of your dreams. We aid people with disabilities to build amazing resumes and work within their communities. For more information on how we do this, take a look at our Employment Services page or give us a call!